Custody Issues for Non-Married Parents

Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma Paternity Attorneys

According to recent data, approximately 40 percent of all children born in the United States are born out-of-wedlock. Sometimes, the unmarried parents are in a relationship, but the relationship ends. In other case, the parents may have never been in a committed relationship.

Either way, there is perhaps no more contentious area of Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma than paternity and child custody. When custody and child support issues involve non-married couples, the situation is often murky to most people, leaving parties on both sides frustrated and confused about how to resolve the issue fairly and in the child's best interests.

The reality is unmarried parents in these cases often end up filing and/or litigating a paternity case under the Uniform Parentage Act. In these cases, courts can determine paternity, child custody related issues and child support. This can result in unmarried parents receiving a parenting plan or custody schedule just like married parents who went through a divorce.

Work to Resolve Tough Child Custody Issues Without Costly Litigation

In some cases involving non-married parents and custody, there is usually a middle ground that can be reached through skillful, resourceful negotiations. In other cases, the case becomes contested (just like a divorce) and the judge has to rule on the matter after a trial.

When it comes to custody matters, many judges expect parties to do everything possible to alleviate animosity and work toward a reasonable solution. Stange Law Firm, PC, has earned respect among legal and social service professionals, and judges know that I put the child's welfare first. If your case turns out to be contested, Stange Law Firm, PC, can help you as well.

If you are an unmarried parent involved in a child custody dispute, Stange Law Firm, PC is ready to help. We provide advocacy for clients involved in all types of custody matters, including:

  • Paternity and father's rights issues: Even when the father is on the birth certificate, they still do not have enforceable custody rights. A paternity case can help ensure that happens.
  • Child support issues for non-married parent: By filing a paternity case, the parties can enter an order as to child support.
  • Parenting schedules and enforcement: Through a paternity case, the parents can end up with a parenting plan or custody schedule just like divorcing parents.
  • Contempt and enforcement: After a parenting plan and child support order is put in place, just like divorcing parents, parties have to comply with these judgments and orders.
  • DNA Testing: In some cases, the paternity of the father is in dispute. Through a paternity case, paternity testing can take place to ensure that it is established who is the biological father.

Contact Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma Paternity Lawyers

From our webpage, you can also read articles about family law, view informational videos, seminar videos, listen to our podcast, download our mobile application or view support calculators for Missouri and Illinois.

Some specific articles that you might be interested in are: Missouri bill to expedite unmarried parent custody issues and Many children born to unmarried couples in recent years.

For more information on custody issues for non-married parents, contact our lawyers online or by phone to schedule a consultation at any of our convenient locations.