Talk With A Lawyer About Contracts That Affect Your Marriage in Oklahoma City in Oklahoma CountyNegotiating a prenuptial agreement does not always seem like the most romantic choice but, for many couples, it is the smart one. Prenuptial agreements — also called prenups, premarital agreements or even antenuptial agreements — allow marrying couples to protect their separate property during a marriage.At Stange Law Firm, PC, our local Oklahoma City family lawyers assist clients in Oklahoma County draft, review and litigate prenuptial agreements. We also handle issues related to postnuptial agreements, which are sometimes created during the marriage.
Prenuptial AgreementsGood prenuptial agreements should contain detailed descriptions of the significant property and debts owned by each partner. Depending on the nature and complexity of these assets, a prenuptial agreement can be just a few pages — or a few hundred. At the Stange Law Firm, PC, we draft each prenup so that it meets the exact needs of our clients.To be valid, a prenuptial agreement must meet certain requirements:
- Be signed by both spouses
- Be accompanied by a complete disclosure of all assets, income, and debts of each spouse
- List court-ordered maintenance being paid or received
- Allow spouses sufficient opportunity to consider the provisions of the agreement consult with lawyers before signing
- Be entered into freely and voluntarily
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Postnuptial Agreements in Oklahoma CountyAlso called post-marital agreements, postnuptial agreements are contracts between two partners that are entered into during marriage. Like prenuptial agreements, they contain provisions addressing how to divide property in the event of divorce or the loss of a spouse.
Enforcing a Prenuptial or Postnuptial Agreement in Oklahoma City in Oklahoma CountyIt can be difficult to enforce a prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement. The standards courts impose are high. But when a family law conflict requires legal action, we offer high-quality legal solutions for our clients. Our focus is to help you move in the right direction. We do this by working closely with you to develop a family law strategy that weighs the costs and benefits of each action. Together, we take action that gets results.Not being represented by an Oklahoma City Divorce lawyer at the time of signing can be a basis for challenging the enforceability of a prenuptial agreement later on. For this reason, both parties really should have their own attorneys. Please note as well that Kirk C. Stange authored a book on prenuptial agreements through Thomson Reuters (Aspatore Publishing) titled: Prenuptial Agreements Line by Line.
Handling Prenuptial or Postnuptial Agreement in Oklahoma City, OklahomaTo learn more about the Oklahoma City Family Court, please visit the following links:
- Oklahoma County Family Court: Any additional information regarding the Oklahoma City family court can be found here.
- Oklahoma City Local Court Rules: Wondering what all of the Oklahoma City court rules may be? Click here to take a look.
- Oklahoma City Courthouse Directions: Do you need directions or a map of the Oklahoma City courthouse? Click on this link provided to help you out!