Don’t want child support? Your options vary

Don’t want child support? Your options vary

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child Support on Wednesday, April 1, 2020.

While the majority of people may want to receive financial support for their children, there are cases where it may not be warranted. Perhaps one parent really doesn’t work, and child support would only be a burden that could not be paid. Maybe one parent earns enough that it’s simply unnecessary.

Whatever the situation may be, you should know that children are entitled to receive child support. Except for in very few, specific situations, support is meant to be saved or used on your child, so turning it down would not make sense.

When does child support end?

Child support may end once a child reaches the age of majority. Until then, the payments may be mandated by the court, even when neither parent has filed for support.

Why would you want to stop child support?

You may want to stop child support if your financial situation has changed in a way that means you no longer need support for your child or that your child no longer needs support. For instance, if your child receives a large inheritance or if you have a job that pays many times more than what your ex-spouse earns, you may want to look into a modification. Courts generally do not end support, but they may reduce it to a minimal amount.

If you and your ex-spouse were to get back together, that would be another time when support would be able to end. Similarly, child support may be minimal or stop completely if your ex-spouse does not work or cannot work.

If you would like to find out more about child support and the payments that you should expect, your attorney will have more information.

Related Posts


Prenuptial Agreements Line by Line

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Family Law Illinois

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Military Family Law

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Protect Yourself By Understanding Your Options and Knowing Your Rights



Stange Law Firm, PC

120 S. Central Avenue, Suite 450

St. Louis (Clayton), Missouri 63105

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
Group 144


Contact Our Team

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Family Law Legal Services At Your Fingertips


When you choose us, you don’t have to sacrifice quality or service. You get the resources of a large divorce and family law firm AND the attentive service of a local attorney.