Multi-State Grandparents’ Rights Attorneys at Stange Law Firm

We've dedicated our firm to family law. Watch a quick video on why:

Stange Law Firm img
Play Video

Other Related Topics

Multi-State Grandparents’ Rights Attorneys at Stange Law Firm

Sadly, when parents decide to get divorced, the parents of the non-custodial parent often find it difficult to keep in touch with their grandchildren. More and more, they have been going to court to protect their visitation rights and their relationships with the grandchildren they love. Grandparents often face an uphill battle when enforcing these visitation rights. They need a strong and forceful attorney who knows the law — someone who does not hesitate to fight hard for them.

Attorneys Who Fight Hard for Their Clients

At Stange Law Firm, PC, we fight hard for our clients. Many of our clients are grandparents who seek child custody or visitation in special circumstances, like when a parent is incapable of properly caring for a child due to alcoholism, addiction, mental illness, or family violence. These grandparents may be entitled to increased custody or visitation.

Laws support contact between grandparents and their grandchildren in certain situations, like the ones listed below:

  • When the parents of the child have filed for divorce, grandparents have the right to intervene solely on the issue of visitation rights. Grandparents also have the right to file a motion to modify the original divorce decree to seek visitation rights.
  • When one parent of the child is deceased and the surviving parent denies the grandparent reasonable visitation rights, grandparents may take legal action.
  • When the child has resided in the grandparent’s home for at least six months within the 24-month period immediately before the filing of the petition for grandparent rights, grandparents can file a lawsuit to protect their relationships with the children involved.
  • When the grandparent has been unreasonably denied visitation with the child for more than 90 days, (unless the natural parents are legally married to each other and are living together with the child) the grandparent may file for visitation.
  • When the child is adopted by a stepparent, another grandparent, or another blood relative, grandparents can file lawsuits to protect their rights.

You can also read more on this topic in the article titled: Missouri grandparents can fight for grandchild visitation rights.

Determining Grandparents’ Right to Visitation

Determining whether or not grandparents are entitled to visitation can be complex. The court sometimes requires a home study performed by a court-appointed investigator. The court may also appoint a guardian ad litem to help determine the best interests of the child. It may also consult with the child regarding the child’s wishes.

Stange Law Firm, PC understands exactly what the court looks for in grandparents’ rights situations. She can help guide you through the process and help you achieve the best possible results in these matters.

Laws on Grandparent Visitation

In Missouri, the statute affecting grandparents’ rights is § 452.402 of the Missouri Revised Statutes. It outlines the law on when grandparents’ visitation rights can be granted or terminated. It also grants the court discretion to have the losing party pay the winning party’s attorney’s fees.

In Illinois, a court can grant visitation to a grandparent if visitation is in the best interests of the child and the grandparent has been unreasonably denied visitation to the child. However, a court may not grant grandparent visitation where both parents object.

In Kansas, a court may award visitation rights in a custody order. However, adoption cuts off visitation rights unless the grandparent is the parent of a deceased parent and the surviving parent’s spouse adopts the child.

Oklahoma law allows the court to grant grandparents visitation rights under certain circumstances. The court must find that all of the following criteria are met:

  • the child does not live in an intact nuclear family,
  • ordering visitation would be in the best interest of the child, and,
  • the parents are unfit OR the child would suffer harm or potential harm if the visitation rights are not granted.

In Nebraska, courts can order grandparent visitation if the petitioning grandparent can prove that:

  • there is or has been, a significant beneficial relationship between the grandparent and the child,
  • it is in the best interests of the child that such a relationship continue,
  • such visitation will not adversely interfere with the parent-child relationship.
In Indiana, a grandparent may seek visitation with a grandchild when:
  • the child’s parent (grandparent’s child) is deceased
  • the child’s parents have divorced or their marriage has been annulled, or
  • the child’s was born out of wedlock.
In Iowa, a grandparent may ask a court to grant visitation with their grandchildren only in the situation where their own child (the parent of the child in question) is deceased.  If the grandparent’s child is living, a grandparent has no legal right to visitation and the child’s parents can decide who sees the child.

Contact a Multi-State Family Law Attorney Today to Schedule an Initial Consultation

Grandparents can be just as important as parents in some situations. We have some articles on the topic you might be interested in reading: Missouri grandparents can fight for grandchild visitation rights and Census reveals that increasingly grandparents raise grandkids.

Contact us online or by phone to schedule a confidential consultation at any of our convenient locations.


Full Service Child Custody Representation

Our child custody practice focuses on protecting the wellbeing of children and the rights of parents. We handle issues such as:
Often called parenting time, visitation is the amount of time a noncustodial parent spends with his or her child. We can handle a broad spectrum of visitation matters.
Creating a parenting plan
Getting visitation rights means drafting a parenting plan that works. We can help.
Relocation with a child
Courts have continuing jurisdiction over child custody and visitation orders. So, when a parent wants to move, it is usually necessary to get the court's permission first. Failure to do so can put your time with your child in jeopardy.
Enforcement of orders
If a parent fails to follow a child custody order, it may be possible to take him or her to court to enforce the order.
Contempt of court
If you are found to have repeatedly ignored a court order, you may be found in contempt of court.
Modification of orders:
When you need a court order changed, you can work with the experienced attorneys at Stange Law Firm, PC.
Custody Issues for Nonmarried Parents
Next to divorce actions, paternity cases (custody and support cases between unmarried parents) are among the most common cases in family law.
Parental Rights
Parents are often concerns about their parental rights, especially fathers in certain circumstances.
Family Access Motions
If you are being denied access to your children, you may want to consider a family access motion.
Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act
If you have jurisdictional issues involving your custody case, you will want an attorney familiar with the UCCJEA.
Custody Evaluations
If you have a complex custody case where psychological issues or abuse may be in play, you might want to consider a child custody evaluation
Hague Convention
If you are dealing with an international child custody dispute, and perhaps child abduction, knowing about the Hague Convention is often critical.
Third-Party Custody
If you are not the biological parents, in certain cases all may not be lost. You might have a right to third party custody in certain situations.
Fertility and Surrogacy
Fertility and surrogacy is a growing area of the law for those who want children.
In some custody cases, parties might live far apart. This can result in difficult child custody cases with transportation at issue.

Prenuptial Agreements Line by Line

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Family Law Illinois

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Military Family Law

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Protect Yourself By Understanding Your Options and Knowing Your Rights


SLF Icon


Stange Law Firm, PC

120 S. Central Avenue, Suite 450

St. Louis (Clayton), Missouri 63105

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
Group 144


Contact Our Team

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Family Law Legal Services At Your Fingertips


When you choose us, you don’t have to sacrifice quality or service. You get the resources of a large divorce and family law firm AND the attentive service of a local attorney.