Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska Same Sex Divorce LawyersThe legal landscape of America changed significantly in July 2015. The United States Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage in a landmark decision. Prior to this, each individual state had determined this issue on the state governmental level. Many states had already started to legalize same-sex marriage, including Illinois. Other states did not and provided other options such as domestic partnerships. Fortunately, the country has now been directed by the highest of our courts toward a unified stance toward marriage equality.
Providing Experienced Same-Sex Family Law RepresentationIf you have entered into a same-sex marriage, and the relationship breaks down, you may be left wondering how to dissolve your marriage and defend your rights at the same time.Throughout the country, parties dissolving a same-sex marriage are entitled to the same protections and benefits as parties dissolving a traditional marriage. Dissolution of same-sex marriage can raise many issues, including:
- The division of property, including real estate, personal property, savings accounts, and more.
- The allocation of debt must also be considered between the parties.
- Maintenance such as temporary or permanent spousal support or alimony payments.
- Child support, including determining monthly payments and other ongoing expenses.
- Child custody and other parenting and visitation time issues.