Talk With A Lawyer About Contracts That Affect Your Marriage in Ellisville, Missouri in West St. Louis CountyNegotiating a prenuptial agreement does not always seem like the most romantic choice but, for many couples, it is the smart one. Prenuptial agreements — also called prenups, premarital agreements, or even antenuptial agreements — allow marrying couples to protect their separate property during a marriage.At Stange Law Firm, PC, we help clients in Ellisville, MO in West St. Louis County, Missouri, draft, review, and litigate prenuptial agreements. We also handle issues related to postnuptial agreements, which are sometimes created during the marriage.
Prenuptial AgreementsGood prenuptial agreements should contain detailed descriptions of the significant property and debts owned by each partner. Depending on the nature and complexity of these assets, a prenuptial agreement can be just a few pages — or a few hundred. At the Stange Law Firm, PC, we draft each prenup so that it meets the exact needs of our clients.To be valid, a prenuptial agreement must meet certain requirements:
- Be signed by both spouses
- Be accompanied by a complete disclosure of all assets, income, and debts of each spouse
- List court-ordered maintenance being paid or received
- Allow spouses the sufficient opportunity to consider the provisions of the agreement and consult with lawyers before signing
- Be entered into freely and voluntarily