2601 NW Expressway Suite 411 W, Oklahoma City, OK 73112
Family law matters arise every day in Oklahoma City, from adoption petitions to complex divorce cases. Any couple or family with a family law matter needs to have experienced legal counsel on their side. At the Stange Law Firm in Oklahoma City, OK, we have successfully handled many types of cases for our past clients and provide reliable legal advice for every client we represent.
Oklahoma City is the largest city in the state of Oklahoma and the county seat of Oklahoma County. Home to over 655,000 residents, Oklahoma City is the third-largest city in the United States by landmass. The Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area is home to nearly 1.4 million residents. With such a large population, it’s easy to see how family law matters can appear at any given time for countless possible reasons. When it comes to divorce, one of the most common family law matters handled in the US, Oklahoma has the second-highest divorce rate among US states, eclipsed only by the divorce rate of Nevada.
When you are planning to end your marriage, or if you are already divorced and have other family law matters arise, it’s vital to seek trustworthy legal counsel as soon as possible. The Stange Law Firm has handled many family law cases in the Oklahoma City area, and we’re very familiar with the family court system of Oklahoma County and the judges operating within it. If you need an experienced family law representative in Oklahoma City, you can rely on the Stange Law Firm.
Why Choose Stange Law Firm?
Oklahoma’s high divorce rate means that family law matters are especially common in the Oklahoma City region as the state’s largest metropolitan area. Since 2007, the attorneys and other legal professionals of the Stange Law Firm have provided comprehensive, compassionate, and client-focused legal representation in a wide variety of family legal matters.
Thanks to our extensive experience with Oklahoma family law, we understand that no two clients are the same, and we do not take a one-size-fits-all approach to the legal services we offer. When you choose the Stange Law Firm as your legal representatives, you will have legal representatives who will get to know you and your case so that we can develop a fully individualized legal strategy on your behalf.
We Handle a Variety of Family Law Matters in Oklahoma City
Family law is a broad branch of civil law covering many different legal matters, including:
- Divorce and legal separation. If you need to end your marriage on fault-based grounds or for irreconcilable differences, our team can help. Divorce laws in Oklahoma can be very difficult to navigate without experienced legal counsel on your side. Failing to secure an attorney could lead to reduced child custody rights, lower child support payments than you rightfully deserve, and a disproportionate property division that works against you. Our team will analyze every aspect of your divorce and determine the best strategy for navigating the Oklahoma City family court system.
- Child custody and child support. Divorcing parents must agree to custody terms when they have children, and the Oklahoma City family court system must ensure the divorce decree and related child custody agreement aligns with the best interests of the children. One parent may receive more custody rights over their children than the other parent if the court determines such an arrangement would be in the best interest of the parents’ children. The Stange Law Firm can help you build a strong case for parental custody rights and ensure a fair and reasonable child support arrangement between you and your co-parent.
- Adoption. If a child’s biological parent dies, abandons the family, or relinquishes their parental rights, the child’s other parent may remarry, and the new spouse may adopt the child to afford them all the rights their biological child would have. The adoption process can be complicated, especially if a biological parent contests the adoption for any reason. The team at the Stange Law Firm can help you navigate the adoption procedures of Oklahoma County and identify any potential issues that might interfere with your planned adoption.
- Domestic violence. The state of Oklahoma and the court system of Oklahoma County take issues of domestic violence very seriously. If you are divorcing a spouse who was abusive to you and/or your children, our firm can assist in the procurement of restraining orders, protective orders, and orders of injunctive relief as necessary to help ensure your family’s safety.
These are only a few examples of the types of family law matters the Stange Law Firm is proud to handle on behalf of our clients in Oklahoma City. If you need legal representation for a divorce or related matter in Oklahoma City or elsewhere in Oklahoma County, it’s vital to seek reliable legal counsel as quickly as possible.
Why Do I Need an Oklahoma City Family Law Attorney?
It’s common for people facing family law matters to assume they are straightforward at first, only to encounter significant obstacles on the way to their legal resolutions. While you might think that you can successfully handle your legal matters on your own, the reality is that you take an enormous risk if you forego legal representation in any family law matter.
The Oklahoma City family court system can be challenging to navigate if you have no legal training or formal legal experience. You could potentially miss a court filing deadline, fail to schedule a court proceeding on time, or make some other procedural error that could endanger your rights in a divorce or child custody negotiation. By hiring an Oklahoma City family law attorney, you are investing in protection for your legal rights and streamlining your legal proceedings.
Common Issues You’re Likely to Encounter During an Oklahoma City Divorce
Divorce can be one of the most difficult and stressful experiences a person will ever face. If you are divorcing and you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse have children together, the stress and stakes in your divorce are exponentially higher. When you hire the Stange Law Firm as your legal team in an Oklahoma City divorce case, we can help you with various legal matters related to your divorce, including:
- Property division. Oklahoma follows equitable distribution laws when it comes to property division in divorce. Unlike community property states that typically strive for 50/50 divisions of marital property in divorce cases, the equitable distribution laws of Oklahoma mean that your divorce may not end in an even split with your ex. Our team will gather all the evidence necessary to build a strong case that ensures you maximize your recovery from your divorce, whether it involves control over your marital home, maintenance payments, or other financial issues.
- Child custody. The Oklahoma City family court system must rule in whatever way the court deems fit for protecting your children’s best interests in a divorce. Divorcing parents must undergo child custody negotiations to determine the parents’ rights when it comes to the care, upbringing, and ability to make significant decisions on behalf of their children. We will carefully review the details of your divorce case and get to know your family to ensure the court makes a fully informed decision about the child custody details in your divorce.
- Child support. When one parent wins majority custody over their children, the court typically requires the noncustodial parent or whichever parent with whom the children do not live for the majority of their time to pay child support to the custodial parent. Our team will work closely with you regardless of which side of the custody arrangement you happen to be on, ultimately working to ensure your children receive the financial support they need and deserve from both of their parents.
- Protective orders. If your ex-spouse or soon-to-be ex-spouse committed any type of domestic violence against you and/or your children, our team will do everything in our power to provide you with every legal protection available under Oklahoma law. We routinely help clients with protective orders and restraining orders and are accustomed to working with law enforcement officials in Oklahoma City whenever necessary.
- Post-judgment modifications. Once you have completed a divorce and/or child custody agreement, some elements of the decree cannot be changed. However, the family laws of Oklahoma do allow those bound by divorce decrees and child custody agreements to revisit some elements of these matters. We can help you revise your existing child support or child custody agreement in light of new life events, such as a change in income, a new job, or a need to relocate you and your family.
It’s easy to see how even a seemingly straightforward divorce case can become incredibly complex, especially when children are involved. You can rely on the team at the Stange Law Firm in Oklahoma City to guide you through the legal proceedings of the Oklahoma City family court system. We likely know the judge who will oversee your case, and this will allow us to better prepare you for your future proceedings and negotiations.
If you want an experienced and skilled legal team on your side for any kind of family law matter in Oklahoma City, the Stange Law Firm is here to assist you however possible. Contact us in Oklahoma City today to schedule your consultation with an experienced Oklahoma City family law attorney and start working toward a satisfactory resolution to your legal issue.