Modification of Child Custody

In Missouri and Illinois, child custody and visitation modifications are a fact of life. After all, circumstances can change, financial security can shift, and it is not unusual for families to readjust as children grow and dynamics evolve. For all of these reasons, it is important to understand how to modify your existing child custody and visitation arrangement.

Putting the Children First - Missouri, Illinois and Kansas

Missouri and Illinois child visitation and custody laws are designed to serve the interests of the children involved; therefore, it is paramount to seek changes with this goal in mind. In general, child custody visitation modification can happen in two ways:

Creating a consent order: the easiest way to modify child custody is to create a consent order between both parents, which alters the preexisting arrangement. This consent order will ensure that all changes are mutually agreed upon and enforceable.

Filing a motion to modify — alternatively, a child custody visitation modification can be obtained through the courts by filing a motion that demonstrates a substantial change in circumstances.

What Circumstances Can Cause A Modification?

For a child custody arrangement to be modified there must be a substantial change in circumstances. The phrase "substantial change in circumstances," is a significant factor when determining if a child custody modification is appropriate. Examples of qualifying changes can include:

  • Major relocation
  • Major change in vocation or hours
  • Major change in habits that may adversely affect the child (such as drugs and/or alcohol abuse)

You can also more information we have on this topic: Missouri law summary on custody modifications and How to modify custody and visitation orders.

In the blog posts,  Child custody modifications and how to seek them: Part I and Child custody modifications and how to seek them: Part II, you can read more about modification of child custody.

Convenient Locations in St. Louis, Kansas City, Columbia, Springfield & Beyond

Retaining a highly qualified child custody lawyer can help properly position you for a child visitation modification or child custody modification. You can contact us online or by calling 855-805-0595.