Garnishments and Support

If you are having trouble collecting the child support owed to you, or if you are having trouble paying the child support you owe, it is critical that you have an attorney to protect your interests.

Learn More About Child Support in Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma

Divorcing parents may be ending their marriage, but they will forever be parents. Therefore, it is important to handle sensitive legal issues involving child custody and child support with the diligence and care. At Stange Law Firm, PC, we help clients in throughout Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma with a wide range of domestic relations issues, including child support arrangements.

Are you facing a dispute over child support? Our lawyers have extensive experience helping divorced parents get fair and just resolutions to their family law disputes.

Contempt Proceedings in Child Support Cases

Contempt proceedings are one of the most common actions taken against parents who fail to pay child support. To learn more about how contempt proceedings can take place, go to our contempt of court page.

Wage Garnishment in Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma

Parents who owe back child support may be subject to wage garnishment. The court can order an employer to withhold a certain percentage out of an employee's paycheck each pay period to meet his or her child support obligations.

Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA)

State governments and the federal government may take action to pursue parents who cross state lines in hopes of circumventing their support obligations. States are to give full, faith and credit to final court judgments issued in other states, including child support orders. Thus, parents cannot seek out a new jurisdiction to gain a more favorable child support award. Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), the court who issued the child support order retains continuing exclusive jurisdiction.

In other words, if the parents seek to make changes to the original child support order or seek to have it enforced, they must seek help from the court that originally issued the child support order. UIFSA provides state courts with the ability child support when one parent relocates to another state

Call Now — Speak To Our Experienced Child Support Lawyers

For a consultation with a garnishments and child support lawyer, please give us a call or contact us online. We have many conveniently located in St. Louis, Kansas City, Columbia, Springfield, Wichita, Tulsa and beyond in the Midwest.