Talk With an Attorney About Contracts That Affect Your Marriage in Peoria, Illinois and Peoria CountyWhile it may not be the most romantic choice couples, negotiating a prenuptial agreement may be a smart choice for some. Prenuptial agreements — also called prenups, premarital agreements, or even antenuptial agreements — allow for couples to protect their separate property when entering into a marriage.At Stange Law Firm, PC, we can assist clients living in and around Peoria, Illinois and Peoria County, Illinois from our nearby divorce law office in McLean County in Bloomington, Illinois. Our attorneys have experience handling all aspects of family law related matters, including divorce cases involved prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Prenuptial Agreements in Peoria, Illinois and Peoria CountyDetailed descriptions of any significant property and debts owned by each party are important elements when drafting quality prenuptial agreements. The length of a prenuptial agreement can vary greatly. Depending on the nature and the complexity of the assets at hand, an agreement can range from a few pages to a few hundred pages. Our attorneys at Stange Law Firm, PC work diligently with clients to ensure that prenuptial agreements are drafted that meet their exact needs.A prenuptial agreement must meet certain requirements to be valid:
- Be signed by both spouses
- Be accompanied by a complete disclosure of all assets, income and debts of each spouse
- List court-ordered maintenance being paid or received
- Allow spouses sufficient opportunity to consider the provisions of the agreement consult with lawyers before signing
- Be entered into freely and voluntarily
Peoria, Illinois Postnuptial Agreements in Peoria CountyPostnuptial agreements, also referred to as post-marital agreements, are contracts that are put into place after two parties have entered into a marriage. Similar to prenuptial agreements, they include provisions that address how to divide up property in the event of divorce or the loss of spouse.
Enforcing a Prenuptial or Postnuptial Agreement in Peoria, Illinois and Peoria CountyEnforcing a prenuptial or a postnuptial agreement can be difficult to do. This is because courts impose high standards. In family law issues that require legal action, Stange Law Firm, PC offers competent and diligent representation and legal solutions for our clients. Focusing our practice solely on these difficult family law matters allows our focus to be on helping clients rebuild their lives and put the pieces back together. Our attorneys work closely with clients to develop a strategy in their matter to work towards the best possible outcome.
Not being represented by an attorney at the time of signing a prenuptial agreement can be a basis for challenging the enforceability of the agreement later on. For this reason, both parties involved really should have their own legal representation.
Please note as well that Stange Law Firm, PC Founding Partner Kirk C. Stange authored a book on prenuptial agreements through Thomson Reuters (Aspatore Publishing) titled: Prenuptial Agreements Line by Line.
Handling Prenuptial or Postnuptial Agreements in Peoria, IllinoisTo learn more about the Peoria Family Court, please visit the following links:
- Peoria County Family Court: Any additional information regarding the Peoria Family Court can be found here.
- Peoria Local Court Rules: Wondering what all of the Peoria court rules may be? Click here to take a look.
- Peoria Courthouse Directions: Do you need directions or a map of the Peoria courthouse? Click on this link provided to help you out!
- Peoria County Family Law Forms: Click here to access important forms needed for your family law matters in Peoria County!