St. Louis Divorce Contempt of Court Attorney

St. Charles Family Law Lawyers Handling Contempt of Court Actions

Being in contempt of court: it can sound frightening. But if you are faced with a parent who refuses to comply with an existing court order, it can also sound like a useful tool. In Missouri, a civil contempt order is one way that judges can enforce child support and child custody orders.

These orders come with serious consequences. In certain circumstances, parents who owe back child support can be found to be in contempt of court. If they are, they can be sent to jail until they pay off their child support arrearages.

At Stange Law Firm, PC, we represent parents throughout the greater St. Louis metropolitan area in enforcement proceedings related to unpaid child support or denial of visitation. Our clients and the people they take action against often face being held in contempt as a very real possibility.

Talk With a Lawyer About Contempt

The law on civil contempt is complex. It is recommended that you talk with an experienced attorney rather than handling matters on your own. At  Stange Law Firm, PC, we are dedicated to working closely with our clients on family law matters.

We give our clients our cell phone numbers, return e-mails promptly and have established Your Case Tracker — a confidential online forum for sharing documents between attorneys and their clients. When we post documents to Your Case Tracker, you can view them and add questions and comments.

Defenses to Contempt of Court

We frequently discuss possible defenses to contempt motions with our clients. Under Missouri law, there are two defenses that are commonly used. First, a parent may demonstrate to the court that he or she did not disobey the existing court order. In the alternative, a parent may demonstrate that he or she was unable to comply with the court order. This second defense is often used in situations where parents lose their jobs and cannot pay child support.

Contact a St. Louis Divorce Lawyer About Civil Contempt Orders

To learn more about the law on civil contempt of court, contact us online or by phone to schedule a free and confidential half-hour consultation at any of our convenient locations in St. Louis County, St. Charles,  Jefferson County (Arnold), Franklin County (Union) or St. Louis City (by appointment only), Missouri, or St. Clair County (Belleville) and Madison County (Edwardsville), Illinois.

Saint Louis County, MO: 314-963-4700 Click to learn more about this location.

West St. Louis County, MO: 636-200-6400 Click to learn more about this location.

Jefferson County (Arnold), MO: 636-296-3060 Click to learn more about this location.

St. Charles, MO: 636-940-5900 Click to learn more about this location.

Franklin County (Union), MO: 636-388-0700 Click to learn more about this location.

Lincoln County (Troy), MO: 636-487-0088 Click to learn more about this location.

Saint Louis City, MO (by appointment only): 314-499-8340 Click to learn more about this location.

St. Clair County (Belleville), IL: 618-310-3711 Click to learn more about this location

Madison County (Edwardsville), IL: 618-307-7100 click to learn more about this location

Monroe County (Waterloo), IL Office (by appointment only): 618-208-0587 Click to learn more about this location.