The end of a marriage can be a tumultuous time in your life as you navigate the many emotions that come with the end of a long relationship. When you add in the various financial and logistical hurdles associated with dividing your household, as well as the potentially complicated legal process that sets the division into motion, it is easy to see why divorce is the second most stressful life event. In fact, only the death of a loved one is considered more stressful, leading many people to explore ways to make divorce more straightforward for all involved.
Choosing the Right Divorce Lawyer
One of the chief ways to relieve divorce stress is by hiring the right divorce lawyer. Ideally, your divorce lawyer has extensive knowledge of Oklahoma family law and will be able to help you navigate the many complications, roadblocks, and unexpected circumstances dissolving your marriage can provide. Whether or not your spouse has already secured a lawyer, it is essential to find the best-fit lawyer for you well before beginning the divorce process.
When you are searching for a divorce lawyer in Tulsa, Oklahoma, keep these simple tips in mind:
- Identify your most important issues. Every individual will have a different set of priorities and unique circumstances that will determine how you and your lawyer will navigate the divorce process. Make a list of your priorities and greatest concerns, which may involve child custody, child and spousal support, division of property, high-value assets, prenuptial agreements, and more. Then, ensure any potential lawyers have extensive experience in those areas.
- Find divorce lawyers that offer a broad selection of services. While you need to ensure any potential lawyer has experience in your areas of highest concern, it is also important to look for lawyers that offer multiple services. Although you may assume your divorce will proceed in a relatively straightforward manner, it is common for additional issues to arise during the proceedings. Ensure your lawyer offers family law, child custody, property division, spousal support, and other service areas.
- Consider multiple types of lawyers. No two Oklahoma divorces are the same. Depending on whether your divorce is contested or uncontested, you may not require a court trial. Instead, you may be able to settle out of court utilizing alternative dispute resolution, which can involve mediation and working with your spouse to agree on the terms of divorce. In most cases, your best bet is to find a lawyer that offers both options.
- Ask for recommendations. If you have friends or family members in Tulsa who have already completed a divorce, ask for a recommendation. Someone with prior experience with a lawyer can give you a good idea regarding their style, approachability, and effectiveness. Keep in mind that your situation is unique; your experience may not align with others.
- Engage in smart research. Once you have a shortlist of potential Tulsa divorce lawyers, begin your research. Browse through resources such as Google star ratings and websites like Justia, Avvo, and SuperLawyer that provide ratings, reviews, and extended lawyer information. Keep in mind that not all law firms choose to participate in such ratings sites, which can unfairly skew information.
- Ask questions. If you find a divorce lawyer that meets your standards, practices your desired area of family law, and has garnered positive reviews or recommendations, begin by asking questions. Before your initial consultation, prepare a budget and a list of questions, so you are sure to get the essential information necessary for your final decision. Must-ask questions usually involve:
- Payment plans
- Average length of time to resolution
- Past cases
- Trust your instincts. Aside from skill, the most important aspect of any divorce lawyer is the client-attorney relationship you will build throughout the divorce process. Ensure you feel comfortable with the caseload currently experienced by the lawyer to optimize your lawyer’s level of attention to your case. Finally, you should feel a solid sense of trust in your Tulsa divorce lawyer to see you through this difficult, often complicated, process.
Find a Divorce Lawyer in Tulsa, Oklahoma
When you need a divorce lawyer to begin your Tulsa divorce, the experienced divorce and family law lawyers at Stange Law Firm will exceed your expectations. We practice in a number of aspects of divorce law, including child support, property division, and high net worth divorce – and our compassionate team can help guide you through this often frustrating, emotional process. Reach out to Stange Law Firm today to schedule a consultation and learn more information about how we can help you.