Woman's Name Change After Divorce

When a divorce takes place, multiple issues come to light. Obviously one of those issues is whether the parties will actually get divorced or not. Child custody and child support can also be an issue is children are involved. Spousal support, property division and attorney's fees are other issues that are important during the divorce process.

Another issue that can be important is the woman's last name. When most women get married, they may decide to change her last name to that of her husband. When a divorce takes place, the wife then may want to change her name back to her maiden or previous name.

However, this isn't the case in every situation. In some divorces, especially where the marriage was long-term or there were kids involved, some women may decide to keep their married name. Of course, this is the choice of the woman in a divorce, but it can still be an important issue in a divorce.

While the laws vary in every state, generally speaking, if a woman wants to change her last name to her maiden name, she will want to make she sure that this request is made in her initial pleadings with the court. If a divorce is then settled out of court, it's important to denote in the settlement documents that the parties agree that the woman's name is being changed to her maiden or former name.

If a trial takes place in a divorce, it's important that testimony be put on at trial regarding the woman's desire to change her last name. Then, if a proposed judgment is presented to the court, the name change should be included as part of the proposed judgment.

Ultimately, if the name change request is granted, the woman will generally need to get in touch with the Social Security Administration and/or other others to ensure the name change is fully implemented.

Contact a Divorce Attorney Serving St. Louis and the Metro Area, Columbia, Kansas City, Springfield, Wichita, Tulsa and Beyond in Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma

If you are going through a divorce and interested in a name change, we have attorneys who are ready to help. Contact us online or call us at our conveniently located offices throughout the region.