Custody Issues for Non-Married Parents

We've dedicated our firm to family law. Watch a quick video on why:

Stange Law Firm img
Play Video

Other Related Topics

Custody Issues for Non-Married Parents

Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Indiana Paternity Attorneys

According to recent data, approximately 40 percent of all children born in the United States are born out of wedlock. Sometimes, unmarried parents are in a relationship, but the relationship ends. In another case, the parents may have never been in a committed relationship. Either way, there is perhaps no more contentious area of Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Indiana than paternity and child custody. When custody and child support issues involve non-married couples, the situation is often murky to most people, leaving parties on both sides frustrated and confused about how to resolve the issue fairly and in the child’s best interests. The reality is unmarried parents in these cases often end up filing and/or litigating a paternity case under the Uniform Parentage Act. In these cases, courts can determine paternity, child custody-related issues, and child support. This can result in unmarried parents receiving a parenting plan or custody schedule just like married parents who went through a divorce.

Work to Resolve Tough Child Custody Issues Without Costly Litigation

In some cases involving non-married parents and custody, there is usually a middle ground that can be reached through skillful, resourceful negotiations. In other cases, the case becomes contested (just like a divorce) and the judge has to rule on the matter after a trial. When it comes to custody matters, many judges expect parties to do everything possible to alleviate animosity and work toward a reasonable solution. Stange Law Firm, PC, has earned respect among legal and social service professionals, and judges know that I put the child’s welfare first. If your case turns out to be contested, Stange Law Firm, PC, can help you as well. If you are an unmarried parent involved in a child custody dispute, Stange Law Firm, PC is ready to help. We provide advocacy for clients involved in all types of custody matters, including:
  • Paternity and father’s rights issues: Even when the father is on the birth certificate, they still do not have enforceable custody rights. A paternity case can help ensure that happens.
  • Child support issues for non-married parents: By filing a paternity case, the parties can enter an order for child support.
  • Parenting schedules and enforcement: Through a paternity case, the parents can end up with a parenting plan or custody schedule just like divorcing parents.
  • Contempt and enforcement: After a parenting plan and child support order are put in place, just like divorcing parents, parties have to comply with these judgments and orders.
  • DNA Testing: In some cases, the paternity of the father is in dispute. Through a paternity case, paternity testing can take place to ensure that it is established who is the biological father.

Contact Our Multi-State Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Indiana Paternity Lawyers

From our webpage, you can also read articles about family law, view informational videos, and seminar videos, listen to our podcast, download our mobile application, or view support calculators for Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Indiana. Some specific articles that you might be interested in are the Missouri bill to expedite unmarried parent custody issues and the Many children born to unmarried couples in recent years. For more information on custody issues for non-married parents, contact our lawyers online or by phone to schedule a consultation at any of our convenient locations in St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Springfield, Columbia, Wichita, Topeka, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Omaha, Lincoln, and beyond.


Full Service Child Custody Representation

Our child custody practice focuses on protecting the wellbeing of children and the rights of parents. We handle issues such as:
Often called parenting time, visitation is the amount of time a noncustodial parent spends with his or her child. We can handle a broad spectrum of visitation matters.
Creating a parenting plan
Getting visitation rights means drafting a parenting plan that works. We can help.
Relocation with a child
Courts have continuing jurisdiction over child custody and visitation orders. So, when a parent wants to move, it is usually necessary to get the court's permission first. Failure to do so can put your time with your child in jeopardy.
Enforcement of orders
If a parent fails to follow a child custody order, it may be possible to take him or her to court to enforce the order.
Contempt of court
If you are found to have repeatedly ignored a court order, you may be found in contempt of court.
Modification of orders:
When you need a court order changed, you can work with the experienced attorneys at Stange Law Firm, PC.
Custody Issues for Nonmarried Parents
Next to divorce actions, paternity cases (custody and support cases between unmarried parents) are among the most common cases in family law.
Parental Rights
Parents are often concerns about their parental rights, especially fathers in certain circumstances.
Family Access Motions
If you are being denied access to your children, you may want to consider a family access motion.
Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act
If you have jurisdictional issues involving your custody case, you will want an attorney familiar with the UCCJEA.
Custody Evaluations
If you have a complex custody case where psychological issues or abuse may be in play, you might want to consider a child custody evaluation
Hague Convention
If you are dealing with an international child custody dispute, and perhaps child abduction, knowing about the Hague Convention is often critical.
Third-Party Custody
If you are not the biological parents, in certain cases all may not be lost. You might have a right to third party custody in certain situations.
Fertility and Surrogacy
Fertility and surrogacy is a growing area of the law for those who want children.
In some custody cases, parties might live far apart. This can result in difficult child custody cases with transportation at issue.

Prenuptial Agreements Line by Line

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Family Law Illinois

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Military Family Law

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Protect Yourself By Understanding Your Options and Knowing Your Rights


SLF Icon


Stange Law Firm, PC

120 S. Central Avenue, Suite 450

St. Louis (Clayton), Missouri 63105

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
Group 144


Contact Our Team

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Family Law Legal Services At Your Fingertips


When you choose us, you don’t have to sacrifice quality or service. You get the resources of a large divorce and family law firm AND the attentive service of a local attorney.