Omaha Guardianship Attorney

Omaha Guardianship Attorney

Omaha Guardianship Attorney

Omaha Guardianship Lawyer

When someone in your family can no longer make decisions for themselves due to age, illness, or injury, they may need to have a guardian appointed to help make decisions on their behalf. A guardianship is a legally arranged relationship in which the guardian is responsible for making personal and financial decisions for the ward. If you are considering becoming someone’s guardian or if someone you love needs a guardian, it is vital to understand the process and your responsibilities. An Omaha guardianship attorney can help guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.

Representing Omaha With Guardianship and Other Estate Planning Services

At Stange Law Firm, our Omaha attorneys have experience handling guardianship cases. We understand the significance of ensuring loved ones are taken care of, and we can help you through the process. We can also help with other estate planning services, such as conservatorships, which you may need to consider as part of your Sarpy County guardianship planning. The best way to be advised of exactly what you need is to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.

How Does Guardianship Work ?

A guardianship is a legal relationship where the guardian has the authority to make financial decisions for the ward. The ward is usually a minor, but they can also be an adult with mental or physical disabilities that hinder them from making decisions for themselves. In Nebraska, there are two types of guardianships:

  1. Guardianship of the Person: This type of guardian is responsible for making decisions about the ward’s daily care, such as where they will live and what medical treatment they will receive.
  2. Guardianship of the Estate: This type of guardian manages the ward’s finances, including paying bills (mortgage, child support, etc.) and investing money.

The court appoints a guardian after considering the ward’s best interests. The court will also consider any preferences the ward has expressed about who they would like to be their guardian. Once a guardian is appointed, they must regularly report to the court about the ward’s condition and how they manage their finances.

How Does Conservatorship Work in Omaha?

A conservatorship may be more appropriate when someone cannot take care of their personal or financial affairs. A conservatorship is a legal arrangement where a person (the “conservator”) is appointed by the court to manage the affairs of another person (the “ward”). The ward is typically a person who is unable to take care of themselves or their finances due to incapacity, age, or disability.

The conservator has a clear fiduciary duty to the ward, which means they must act in the ward’s best interests. They have the legal authority to make significant decisions about the ward’s care, medical treatment, living arrangements, and finances.

A conservatorship can be a powerful tool to protect a vulnerable person, but it should only be used as a last resort. Before a conservatorship is established, other options should be considered, such as a durable power of attorney or a medical power of attorney.

What is the Difference Between Guardianship and Conservatorship?

When a person cannot take care of their personal affairs or property, the court may appoint someone to do so for them. The terms “guardian” and “conservator” are used to describe this type of relationship. A guardian is a person who is appointed by the court to make decisions about the personal care of another person. A conservator is a person appointed by the court to manage the property and finances of another person. In some cases, one person may be appointed to both roles. In other cases, different people may be appointed to each role. The court will only appoint a guardian or conservator if it finds that the person is unable to manage their own affairs. The court will also consider whether there are any less restrictive alternatives available, such as a power of attorney or trust.

Omaha Guardianship Attorney

What Key Conditions Must Be Met Before the Court Will Appoint a Guardian or Conservator?

There are a few key conditions that must be met before the court will appoint a guardian or conservator:

  • The person must be unable to take care of themselves or their property: Convincing the court that the person cannot take care of themselves or their property is the most important part of the process. This can be done through testimony from medical professionals or other witnesses who can attest to the person’s incapacity. If these witnesses are not available, the court may appoint a professional to evaluate the person, such as a psychiatrist or geriatrician, who will provide a written report to the court.
  • There must be no less restrictive alternatives available: The court will only appoint a guardian or conservator if there are no less restrictive alternatives available, such as a power of attorney or trust. Sometimes, the court may appoint a limited guardian or conservator with specific powers rather than appointing someone to take over all the ward’s affairs as well. In other cases, the court may find that a less restrictive alternative is not available and that a full guardianship or conservatorship is necessary. The only way to know for sure is to talk to an experienced attorney and advance your case to a conclusion.
  • The guardian or conservator must be willing and able to take on the responsibilities: The court will not appoint someone to be a guardian or conservator if they are unwilling or unable to take on the responsibilities. The court will also consider whether the guardian or conservator is suitable for the job, considering their relationship to the ward and any potential conflicts of interest.

Contact Stange Law Firm Today

If you have a loved one who cannot take care of themselves or their property, you may be considering guardianship or conservatorship. Unfortunately, the complexities of this process can overwhelm some into inaction, which only further harms the person in need of help. The experienced guardianship and conservatorship attorneys at Stange Law Firm can help you navigate the process and ensure that your loved one is taken care of in the best way possible. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We look forward to meeting and learning more about you and your family.

Douglas County (Omaha), Nebraska Office (402-509-1801): 9202 W. Dodge Rd., Suite 302, Omaha, Nebraska 68114


Representing Clients in Divorce & Family Matters

We also handle many other family law matters, including but not limited to:

Dissolution of Marriage
Unfortunately, there are times when a marriage is irretrievably broken and a divorce is the only option. We can help with your uncontested, contested, simple or complex divorce case.
Legal Separation
There are some instances where married parties are separated, but are unsure whether their marriage can be reconciled or may later need to be dissolved. We can help with a legal separation if this is the case.
In certain circumstances, a party may be able to seek an annulment if there are circumstances that led to a party being fraudulently induced into entering a marriage.
Family Law
Unfortunately, there are times when a marriage is irretrievably broken and a divorce is the only option. We can help with your uncontested, contested, simple or complex divorce case.
Collaborative Law/Mediation
If you are looking for an amicable resolution to your divorce or family law matter, we have attorneys who can help you with a collaborative family law case or mediation.
Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
These agreements help couples make critical decisions about their relationships, just in case. While prenuptial agreements are drafted before a marriage, postnuptial agreements are drafted during the marriage, usually when circumstances change.
Paternity Law/Mediation
With approximately forty-percent of all children being born out of wedlock, we represent numerous unmarried parents in child custody and child support disputes. These cases are the twenty-first century divorce and extremely common.
Guardianships and conservatorships
We also represent clients in matters of guardianships and conservatorships, helping them protect the people they love — especially when those people can no longer care for themselves. Our work in this area often involves people facing physical and mental illnesses, alcoholism and addiction.
Surrogacy Agreements
We can help clients negotiate surrogacy agreements, drafting and executing all related documents as well as resolving any conflicts that may arise.
Step-parent adoption
We represent parents in step-parent adoptions, which usually occur when a parent marries or remarries after the birth of a biological child. Step-parent adoptions help bring families closer together by creating a solid family unit.
Name Change
If you are seeking to legally change your name, we can help.
Orders of Protection
We can help you in legal proceedings involving restraining orders.
We are honored to represent clients who wish to adopt a child into their family.
Minor emancipation
In some cases, minors do best when they are given the rights and responsibilities of adults. We assist in minor emancipation, representing both teens and their parents.
Grandparents' rights
Lawyers at our firm also handle grandparents' rights issues such as child custody, guardianship and grandparent adoption.
We represent parties in appeals of adverse family court judgments, including divorce, child custody, child support, maintenance and grandparent visitation.
Child Support
We represent clients in matters involving child support.
Child Custody
We represent parents in child custody disputes.
Juvenile Matters
We represent parties in juvenile matters involving the Division of Family Law Services.
We assist clients in modifying prior child custody and child support judgments when the facts call for it.
We help clients in contempt of court matters as well as family access motions.
Military Divorce
We are proud to represent service members in divorce and family law matters.
SLF Icon
Serving the St. Louis Metropolitan Area, Kansas City, Columbia, Springfield, Wichita, Topeka, Tulsa and Beyond in Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma

From our webpage, you can also read articles about family law, view informational videos, seminar videos, listen to our podcast, download our mobile application or view support calculators for MissouriIllinois and Kansas.

If you are looking to find and hire a child custody lawyer, contact us online or by phone to schedule a consultation at any of our convenient locations.


Prenuptial Agreements Line by Line

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Family Law Illinois

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Military Family Law

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Protect Yourself By Understanding Your Options and Knowing Your Rights


SLF Icon


Stange Law Firm, PC

120 S. Central Avenue, Suite 450

St. Louis (Clayton), Missouri 63105

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
Group 144


Contact Our Team

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Family Law Legal Services At Your Fingertips


When you choose us, you don’t have to sacrifice quality or service. You get the resources of a large divorce and family law firm AND the attentive service of a local attorney.