Omaha Juvenile Matters

We've dedicated our firm to family law. Watch a quick video on why:

Stange Law Firm img
Play Video

Other Related Topics

Omaha Juvenile Matters

Omaha Juvenile Matters Defense Lawyer

Navigating the world as a teenager or young adult is difficult. Not only do young people face increasing responsibilities and expectations, but there is also often intense pressure in the areas of school, work, family, and relationships. It is easy for this pressure to become too much to handle, and kids often act out when they feel overwhelmed. Sometimes, this can lead to juvenile criminal offenses.

Children who commit crimes are not punished in the same manner as adults are. However, certain offenses and circumstances can result in a child facing charges in juvenile court. Juvenile court jurisdiction is vastly different from adult court proceedings, so many people do not know what to expect.

With the help of a juvenile matters attorney, you can navigate your juvenile court case with ease. In many situations, these offenses act as strong warnings for what happens when kids continue down a bad path. Hiring an attorney can help to categorize the offense as a youthful indiscretion and prevent it from ruining your child’s entire life.

Stange Law Firm, PC: Your Omaha Juvenile Matters Attorneys

Our firm has been in business for many years, and we have handled countless cases that were under the jurisdiction of juvenile court. We believe that the youth of our community deserve support and understanding, and we work to provide this with our legal services. When you and your family work with our team, you can expect professional, honest legal services that are catered to the Omaha juvenile justice system.

Even cases in juvenile court can lead to serious consequences. However, we can fight diligently for your family to ensure that the situation can be quickly resolved. Although some juvenile courts are harsh on kids, we work to make sure that you and your family avoid unnecessary charges and punishments.

What Is a Juvenile Matter?

Often, when kids commit crimes, they are minor offenses. In most cases, law enforcement allows the family to handle the situation at home rather than bringing it through the court system. However, some offenses are too serious to allow the family to handle the punishment. In these cases, the offender needs to appear in court. However, it would be unjust and unfair for a child to be held to the same legal standards as an adult. Juvenile courts handle court cases involving children so that the defendant is held to an age-appropriate standard.

In Nebraska, a person is considered a juvenile until they turn 19. Although some individuals under 19 may be tried as adults under extraordinary circumstances, in most cases, teenagers and children go through juvenile court when they commit an offense. Common juvenile offenses include:

  • Cyberbullying
  • Sexual assault
  • Child pornography
  • DUI
  • Drug possession

No matter what the offense may be, it is always best to hire an experienced Omaha juvenile matters attorney. With our help, your child has the best chance of winning their case.

Why Do We Need a Juvenile Defense Lawyer?

Although many people believe that juvenile offenses are minor, in reality, they can lead to serious, lifelong consequences. A teenager who commits a crime can be denied entry to colleges, have difficulty finding a job, be denied housing, and more. This can push kids down a path of few options, leading them to commit more crimes to support themselves. It is best to end this cycle quickly.

The best way to do this is with an attorney. A juvenile matters attorney understands the system and probable outcomes. We can develop an argument that will be effective in court and provide your teenager with the best chance of being found not guilty. With an attorney on hand, the court may reduce punishments or offer alternative sentencing if your teenager is found guilty.

With your child’s entire future on the line, hiring an attorney is the right thing to do. If you represent your child yourself, you will likely lose. The court discourages parental involvement in this manner.

Potential Punishments in Criminal Juvenile Matters

The punishments for juvenile matters vary from the punishments allotted for adults. However, they still reflect the severity of the crime and aim to stop the child from committing more crimes in the future.

Potential punishments include:

  • In-patient rehabilitation
  • A sentence at a juvenile detention center
  • Placement in an alternative, secure home
  • Probation

Your child’s punishment will depend upon their offense and the severity of their actions. If they are repeat offenders, their punishments will likely be more severe than if they are facing their first sentence. In cases such as DUIs or drug possession, rehabilitation may be appropriate to address any substance abuse problems that they may have.

School Punishment

The juvenile court system works outside of the school system and does not use education as a privilege or punishment. This means that your child’s juvenile matters should not interfere with their ability to go to public school in some capacity.

However, your child’s school may have punishments of their own for students who misbehave. Students caught with drugs or alcohol are often banned from playing sports and may be excluded from other extracurriculars as well. Some schools do not allow students to participate in other activities such as dances if they have a juvenile record.

Your child’s school is also able to suspend or expel students under certain circumstances. Depending upon the offense, your child may face these consequences after a juvenile offense. Fighting your child’s case and maintaining their innocence not only gives them the opportunity to avoid legal punishment, but it may also help them avoid punishment at school as well.

Contact Stange Law Firm, PC

If your child is facing legal trouble, it is important that you hire legal help. Young people do make mistakes, but it should not affect their entire lives. With the help of one of the attorneys from Stange Law Firm, PC, you can give your child the best chance of avoiding life-ruining consequences for their actions. No other area law firm has as much experience or compassion as we do.

For more information about our services or how we can help your family, contact Stange Law Firm, PC.

Douglas County (Omaha), Nebraska Office (402-509-1801): 9202 W. Dodge Rd., Suite 302, Omaha, Nebraska 68114


Full Service Child Custody Representation

Our child custody practice focuses on protecting the wellbeing of children and the rights of parents. We handle issues such as:
Often called parenting time, visitation is the amount of time a noncustodial parent spends with his or her child. We can handle a broad spectrum of visitation matters.
Creating a parenting plan
Getting visitation rights means drafting a parenting plan that works. We can help.
Relocation with a child
Courts have continuing jurisdiction over child custody and visitation orders. So, when a parent wants to move, it is usually necessary to get the court's permission first. Failure to do so can put your time with your child in jeopardy.
Enforcement of orders
If a parent fails to follow a child custody order, it may be possible to take him or her to court to enforce the order.
Contempt of court
If you are found to have repeatedly ignored a court order, you may be found in contempt of court.
Modification of orders:
When you need a court order changed, you can work with the experienced attorneys at Stange Law Firm, PC.
Custody Issues for Nonmarried Parents
Next to divorce actions, paternity cases (custody and support cases between unmarried parents) are among the most common cases in family law.
Parental Rights
Parents are often concerns about their parental rights, especially fathers in certain circumstances.
Family Access Motions
If you are being denied access to your children, you may want to consider a family access motion.
Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act
If you have jurisdictional issues involving your custody case, you will want an attorney familiar with the UCCJEA.
Custody Evaluations
If you have a complex custody case where psychological issues or abuse may be in play, you might want to consider a child custody evaluation
Hague Convention
If you are dealing with an international child custody dispute, and perhaps child abduction, knowing about the Hague Convention is often critical.
Third-Party Custody
If you are not the biological parents, in certain cases all may not be lost. You might have a right to third party custody in certain situations.
Fertility and Surrogacy
Fertility and surrogacy is a growing area of the law for those who want children.
In some custody cases, parties might live far apart. This can result in difficult child custody cases with transportation at issue.

Prenuptial Agreements Line by Line

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Family Law Illinois

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Strategies For Military Family Law

Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Protect Yourself By Understanding Your Options and Knowing Your Rights


SLF Icon


Stange Law Firm, PC

120 S. Central Avenue, Suite 450

St. Louis (Clayton), Missouri 63105

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
Group 144


Contact Our Team

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Family Law Legal Services At Your Fingertips


When you choose us, you don’t have to sacrifice quality or service. You get the resources of a large divorce and family law firm AND the attentive service of a local attorney.