Oklahoma City Divorce Lawyers in Oklahoma County

Oklahoma City Divorce Lawyers in Oklahoma OK

If you are going through a divorce in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma it is a top priority to have an educated and experienced attorney by your side. The effects of these cases can impact you and your family immensely.

At Stange Law Firm, PC, we have solely dedicated our practice to divorce and family law. We do not practice any other type of law. Whether your divorce matter needs to be litigated or resolved through mediation and collaborative law, Stange Law Firm, PC has the legal staff and resources to help.

From our new office in, Stange Law Firm, PC in Oklahoma City in Oklahoma County assists the residents in the surrounding areas, with a wide range of family law matters, including:

The attorneys that you will find at Stange Law Firm, PC understand that your divorce and family law matter in Oklahoma City, OK may be one of the most difficult times in your life. That's why our Oklahoma County divorce attorneys are here to fight for you, whether your divorce is uncontested or contested. Additionally, our attorneys can assist if your case must be resolved at a trial.

You can also find out more information about Oklahoma City here:


What Are the Grounds for Divorce in Oklahoma?

Oklahoma divorce laws permit a divorces base upon several grounds, including:

  1. Abandonment for one year;
  2. Adultery;
  3. Impotence;
  4. When wife at time of marriage is pregnant for someone other than her husband;
  5. Extreme cruelty;
  6. Fraudulent contract;
  7. Habitual drunkenness;
  8. Gross neglect of duty;
  9. Imprisonment for the commission of a felony;
  10. Insanity for a period of five years; and/or
  11. Incompatibility of the parties.

Residency Requirements for Divorce in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Oklahoma divorce laws requires that a party and/or their spouse be a resident of the state for a minimum of six months immediately prior to the filing of the petition for divorce.

Venue in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

You may file your petition in the county where you live as long as you have been a resident of that county for at least thirty days. Another option is to file in the county where your spouse resides.

Name of Court and Title of Action/Parties in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

The spouse who files the action is called the Plaintiff, whereas the other spouse is called the Defendant. Actions for divorce in the State of Oklahoma are filed in the District Court. The Petition for Divorce is the action that begins the divorce, and the Decree of Divorce is the final action.

Legal Separation in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Oklahoma divorce laws permit a spouse to bring an action for alimony against the other spouse without filing for a divorce. The grounds and requirements for legal separation are the same as for a contested divorce.

Waiting Period in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

If a party has minor children, they have to wait 90 days from the date until the decree is issued.

In addition, a party must wait six months from the date of the decree before they are allowed to remarry (unless a party wants to remarry the person they just divorced) or even to cohabit with another person who is not your ex.

Any person who violates this provision could be found guilty of bigamy and may be imprisoned for a term of not less than one year and not more than three years in the State Penitentiary.

Alimony (also known as Spousal Support) in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Either spouse may be awarded alimony out of real and personal property of the other spouse either as a lump sum or in installments. Payments end when the alimony recipient dies, remarries, or voluntarily moves in with a member of the opposite sex.

Distribution of Property in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma

Oklahoma is an equitable distribution state. This means that the court will divide the marital property of the parties in an equitable manner. The court may divide the property in kind, or by setting aside the property to one party and requiring the other party to be reimbursed.

Child Custody in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Oklahoma courts will decide the issue of custody based on the best interests of the child. Custody may be granted to either parent or to both parents jointly.

When awarding custody, the court considers various factors, including which parent is more likely to allow the child frequent and continuing contact with the other parent. Gender of the parties is not a considering factor in determining custody of the child.

If either or both parents have requested joint custody, the party shall submit to court-mandated parenting plans detailing arrangements for child care. Such plans shall generally haveprovisions relating to the medical and dental care of the child, school placement, and physical living arrangements for the child, child support obligations and visitation arrangements.

In determining custody, the child may express a preference, but the court's decision are not bound by the wishes of the child.

Oklahoma law allow courts to order one or both parents to attend an educational program designed to teach the parties how to help the children cope with the divorce. The court may also order individual counseli as they deem fit.

Child Support in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

The Oklahoma legislature has established child support guidelines, which establish the presumptive correct amount of child support. Deviation from the guidelines require a specific finding by the court that application of the guidelines would be unjust or inappropriate and such findings must be included in the judgment.

Child support orders may be modified upon a showing of material change in circumstances of the parties.

Name Change in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

When a divorce is granted, the court may restore the wife to her maiden or former name if she so desires.

Contact our Oklahoma City Divorce Lawyers in Oklahoma County for a Consultation

When you have a family law case and need representation in the Oklahoma County area, our attorneys are ready to help. The attorneys of Stange Law Firm, PC know how important family is to you and are ready to lead you through your case.

Oklahoma County (Oklahoma City) Office ( 405-594-0633) | 2601 NW Expressway, Suite 411 W, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73112.