- Oklahoma City, OK Divorce Lawyers: If you need help with a divorce in Pottawatomie County, our lawyers can help.
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Child Support Lawyers: If you are interested in finding out more information about child support, our webpage has additional information.
- Oklahoma City, OK Child Custody Lawyers: If you are in need of a child custody lawyer, we have attorneys that can help.
- Oklahoma City, OK Paternity Lawyers: If you are an unmarried parent that is in need of a custody attorney, we have lawyers who can assist.
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Fathers’ Rights Attorneys: If you are a father in need of a divorce or family law representation, we have lawyers who can assist.
- Oklahoma City, OK Family Law Attorneys: We can help with your family law needs in the Oklahoma City, OK area in Oklahoma County.
The attorneys that you will find at Stange Law Firm, PC understand that your divorce and family law matter in Shawnee, OK may be one of the most difficult times in your life. That’s why our Oklahoma County divorce attorneys are here to fight for you, whether your divorce is uncontested or contested. Additionally, our attorneys can assist if your case must be resolved at a trial.
You can also find out more information about Shawnee here:
- Government Website for Shawnee, OK: Interested in learning more about the government for Shawnee, Oklahoma? Click this link to read more.
- Local Rules: If you are interested in the local rules for Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma, please click this link to read more.
- Pottawatomie County Courthouse: Click here for the address and directions to the Pottawatomie County Courthouse.
COMMON DIVORCE QUESTIONS IN OKLAHOMA
What Are the Grounds for Divorce in Oklahoma?
Oklahoma divorce laws permit a divorces base upon several grounds, including:
- Abandonment for one year;
- When wife at time of marriage is pregnant for someone other than her husband;
- Extreme cruelty;
- Fraudulent contract;
- Habitual drunkenness;
- Gross neglect of duty;
- Imprisonment for the commission of a felony;
- Insanity for a period of five years; and/or
- Incompatibility of the parties.
Residency Requirements for Divorce in Shawnee, Oklahoma
Oklahoma divorce laws requires that a party and/or their spouse be a resident of the state for a minimum of six months immediately prior to the filing of the petition for divorce.
Venue in Shawnee, Oklahoma
You may file your petition in the county where you live as long as you have been a resident of that county for at least thirty days. Another option is to file in the county where your spouse resides.
Name of Court and Title of Action/Parties in Shawnee, Oklahoma
The spouse who files the action is called the Plaintiff, whereas the other spouse is called the Defendant. Actions for divorce in the State of Oklahoma are filed in the District Court. The Petition for Divorce is the action that begins the divorce, and the Decree of Divorce is the final action.
Legal Separation in Shawnee, Oklahoma
Oklahoma divorce laws permit a spouse to bring an action for alimony against the other spouse without filing for a divorce. The grounds and requirements for legal separation are the same as for a contested divorce.
Waiting Period in Shawnee, Oklahoma
If a party has minor children, they have to wait 90 days from the date until the decree is issued.
In addition, a party must wait six months from the date of the decree before they are allowed to remarry (unless a party wants to remarry the person they just divorced) or even to cohabit with another person who is not your ex.
Any person who violates this provision could be found guilty of bigamy and may be imprisoned for a term of not less than one year and not more than three years in the State Penitentiary.
Alimony (also known as Spousal Support) in Shawnee, Oklahoma
Either spouse may be awarded alimony out of real and personal property of the other spouse either as a lump sum or in installments. Payments end when the alimony recipient dies, remarries, or voluntarily moves in with a member of the opposite sex.
Distribution of Property in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Oklahoma is an equitable distribution state. This means that the court will divide the marital property of the parties in an equitable manner. The court may divide the property in kind, or by setting aside the property to one party and requiring the other party to be reimbursed.
Child Custody in Shawnee, Oklahoma
Oklahoma courts will decide the issue of custody based on the best interests of the child. Custody may be granted to either parent or to both parents jointly.
When awarding custody, the court considers various factors, including which parent is more likely to allow the child frequent and continuing contact with the other parent. Gender of the parties is not a considering factor in determining custody of the child.
If either or both parents have requested joint custody, the party shall submit to court-mandated parenting plans detailing arrangements for child care. Such plans shall generally haveprovisions relating to the medical and dental care of the child, school placement, and physical living arrangements for the child, child support obligations and visitation arrangements.
In determining custody, the child may express a preference, but the court’s decision are not bound by the wishes of the child.
Oklahoma law allow courts to order one or both parents to attend an educational program designed to teach the parties how to help the children cope with the divorce. The court may also order individual counseli as they deem fit.
Child Support in Shawnee, Oklahoma
The Oklahoma legislature has established child support guidelines, which establish the presumptive correct amount of child support. Deviation from the guidelines require a specific finding by the court that application of the guidelines would be unjust or inappropriate and such findings must be included in the judgment.
Child support orders may be modified upon a showing of material change in circumstances of the parties.
Name Change in Shawnee, Oklahoma
When a divorce is granted, the court may restore the wife to her maiden or former name if she so desires.
Contact our Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Divorce Lawyers in Oklahoma County for a Consultation (Serving Shawnee, Oklahoma)
When you have a family law case and need representation in the Pottawatomie County area, our attorneys are ready to help. The attorneys of Stange Law Firm, PC know how important family is to you and are ready to lead you through your case.
Oklahoma County (Oklahoma City) Office (405) 594-0633 | 2601 Northwest Expy, Suite 411 W, Oklahoma City, OK 73112.