At Stange Law Firm, PC, we are committed to helping our clients understand all aspects of family law. By providing numerous articles on our website, we equip our clients with the knowledge they need to make prudent, informed decisions. You can also view our archive for previous articles not listed below.
Our law firm is dedicated to keeping you up to date with valuable information. The articles below cover a wide variety of topics, and we hope that they provide you with a broad understanding of the family law issues that you are dealing with.
Divorce can be a long and complicated process - and if you are like most people, you probably have lots of questions. These articles address many different areas of divorce, including tips for handling the stresses and problems that may arise during the process.
Causes of Divorce
- Divorce study: arguing about money is the top predictor of divorce
- Study finds divorce contagious
- How a costly wedding could lead to a divorce
- New research on what indicators lead to divorce
Children and Divorce
- Massachusetts Bill Proposes to ban sex during divorce to help protect children
- International child-centered divorce awareness month, January 2014
- Children & divorce: 3 bonding activities that can help ease tension
- 6 strategies for raising responsible kids
- Childcare checklist: What to share with the babysitter
- 4 key skills to teach your kids at an early age
- Good Parenting Practices: Ways to Model Behavior for Children
- 5 Things Single Parents Can Do to Boost Home Security
- How to Teach Your Children the Value of Organization
- 5 Tips for Hosting a Fun and Successful Play Date
- 3 Core Values to Help Your Child Thrive
- Behind the Wheel: 3 Tips on How to Raise Ready, Responsible Teen Drivers
Finances During Divorce
- Financial habits between married and divorce people and how they differ
- Protecting your finances and credit during a Missouri divorce
- Looking for a financial planner? Consider this...
- 7 steps to earn financial freedom
- Bank statements in a divorce
High Asset Divorce
- The important roles of financial experts in a high-asset divorce
- What to expect in a high-asset or complex Missouri divorce
- It's being called the most expensive divorce in history... $4.5 billion
- As Google becomes more powerful...lives change: The story of Google's Co-founder and his wife
- Russian billionaire's contentious divorce spilling over to US as Sochi Winter Olympics play out
- Domestic Asset Protection Trusts versus Prenuptial Agreements: What is the best option?
Tips for Divorce
- 4 ways to reduce stress while you're going through a lawsuit
- Divorce does not need to be an emotional rollercoaster
- Healthy mindsets that will keep you sane during a divorce
- The numbing effect of divorce
- Helpful tips for a happy Mother's Day for divorced moms
- 3 essential do's for surviving divorce
- The power of confidence in divorce
- Breaking the news to mom and dad and the in-laws that you are divorcing
- Why many wait until January to file for divorce in Missouri
- Navigation tips for the road to independence
- Don't let your divorce take over your life
- Will a divorce fix everything?
- Prioritizing what is important
- Do Character Witnesses Matter In Family Law Cases?
Tips for your Divorce Case
- Lessons learned from one divorce story close to home
- A MSA can help your divorce go smoothly
- Where divorce can be denied in Orthodox Judiasm, prenuptial agreements may be considered
- Ten recommendations for testifying in divorce court
- Preparing for a court date in your case
- Having the necessary evidence on marital property debt
Finances after Divorce
- After the divorce: a new, financially sound you
- Tax audits are a common result of divorce
- Can a small business survive after the divorce of its co-owners or "copreneurs?"
- Financial problems may arise following later-in-life divorces
Coping after Divorce
- 6 dos and don'ts of dating after divorce
- One mom copes with divorce by writing simple hashtags
- Recover from heartbreak: 4 tips for self-discovery & moving on
- The important roles of financial experts in a high-asset divorce
- But what if I don't want the divorce?
- Logic and emotions in a divorce case
After the Divorce
- What do you want your family to look like after the divorce?
- Is taking out a life insurance policy on my ex-spouse a possibility?
- Dating after divorce: how to date in a technological world
- 5 ways to achieve confidence when dating
- You Can Maintain an Amicable Relationship With Your Ex
Without a doubt, custody can be one of the most heated issues during a divorce. We understand how important your children are, and our law firm will work diligently to ensure that their best interests are represented. These articles, which discuss a wide variety of custody issues, can help you get the information you are looking for.
- Divorcing parents love and dread summer
- Parenting coordinators: a new trend in custody cases
- Third party visitation rights in Missouri
- Overnight dates could seriously damage your child custody case
- Missouri child relocation laws: You can't just pick up and move
- Law enforcement involvement in child custody proceedings
- Bode Miller's child custody battle and the effect on pregnant women in the U.S.
- How drugs can ruin your custody case
- Why don't I have custody rights if I'm on the birth certificate?
- How Doing Drugs Can Be Devastating to Your Custody Matter
- Joint custody preferred by most judges
- New Illinois law: allows judges to order a "right of first refusal" for parents who share joint custody
- In co-parenting: matching parenting styles with children's temperaments
- Shared-parenting laws gaining momentum
- New Shared Parenting Bill (HB1550) Signed in Missouri
- The Very Real Risks of "Sharenting"
- Establishing parental rights through stepparent adoption
- A 9 year-old girl removed from adoptive parent and given to dad she never knew
- The basics: Missouri stepparent adoption
- Fathers sue Utah over law that puts their babies up for adoption
- International adoption
- Post-adoption contract and other complex adoption issues
- Missouri grandparents can fight for grandchild visitation rights
- Census reveals that increasingly grandparents raise grandkids
- Paul Walker's mother petitions to become granddaughter's guardian
In many divorces, one party will often end up making payments to the other, whether it is in the form of child support, spousal support or both. These articles discuss numerous topics that can come up during the process, and they can help you get a sense of what to expect.
- Enforcing child support orders in the state of Missouri
- Women more frequently ordered to pay child support
- The baby's daddy Gabriel Aubry is awarded $16,000 a month in child support from Halle Berry
- NJ teen sues parents for financial support: loses round one in suit
- Sometimes a paternity test might not be advisable
- Willingly paying child support
- As breadwinning moms increase so do dads seeking spousal support
- Providing for your child's college education in your divorce decree
- Keeping your children's educational funds intact after divorce
Family law cases are never easy. You can be faced with anything from a divorce to child custody to guardianship. These articles can provide information regardless of the type of family law case you are facing.
Your Family Law Attorney
- Why are cancer doctors revered and divorce lawyers distrusted?
- Why are fixed fees problematic in family law?
- Do-it-yourself divorce more costly in the long run
- One attorney for both parties? Is that allowed?
- Family court information in Kansas City, Missouri
- Family court information in Columbia, Missouri
- When is My Family Law Matter Over?
- Preparing for divorce in Missouri and Illinois: Hiring the right attorney
Health and Family Law
- Tips on handling divorce with the special needs child
- When children need therapy after their parents' divorce
- Dealing with therapy privilege
- Common mental health conditions affecting custody and asset division
Tips for your Family Law Case
- Tips for giving your divorce or family law deposition
- Mark Sanford's Super Bowl saga illustrates important family court lesson
- American courts and their use of foreign law in family law cases
- Can character witnesses be needed in family law issues?
Family Law During the Holidays
- Facts regarding marriage and divorce on Valentine's Day, Feb. 14, 2014
- The Holidays are over, amen: Now it's time to rejuvenate
- Gifts that give: Charitable Mother's Day gifts
- March 20th is "International Day of Happiness"
Military Family Law
- Dad serving overseas may lose custody because of inability to appear in Michigan courtroom
- Stays in divorce proceedings involving service members
- Thank you this Memorial Day
Men in Family Law
Being a father in a family law case can be difficult. These articles can provide some information into the rights that fathers have in divorce cases and unmarried fathers have in paternity cases.
- A dad's power of example
- The father-daughter relationship: How to stay connected after divorce
- The importance of fathers
- Father of a teenager? Tips to teach the value of money
Because our law firm focuses exclusively on family, we have a deep understanding of the way that relationships affect your client's lives. These articles address a variety of topics and provide interesting perspectives on the ways in which different issues can hurt and help relationships.
- Is the reason people have affairs is that they want to stay married?
- Affairs happen in happy marriages: What are we looking for?
- How to successfully buy a place together
- One answer to the war on poverty... Marriage
- The true cost of addiction extends far beyond money
- 4 ways to save your relationship before Valentine's Day
Technology is advancing every day. The affect it has on family law has been growing just as fast. From before the case, to discovery, during the case and even after, technology can both positively and negatively affect the outcome of any case. The articles below highlight information that could help you properly use technology during your family law case.
Technology in Family Law
- Electronic evidence in divorce and family law litigation
- Pros and cons of using computer forensics experts in divorce and family law cases
- Technology management for children in future divorce decrees?
- Identity theft and divorce: 4 ways to protect yourself
- Show your ex is cohabitating through cell phone usage
- Best practices for authenticating, presenting and disputing digital evidence
Social Media and Family Law
- Does Twitter cause infidelity and divorce?
- How does your online social media presence affect your divorce
- Twitter ban and jail time for party harassing judge in custody case
- Instagram, Vine, Snapchat and other photo and video sharing apps becoming more popular in family law
- Steve Nash case shows how the use of Twitter in a custody case can become important
- Facebook discovery in divorce and family law: How to's
- Judge DQ'd from divorce for trying to friend a party on Facebook
- How can Linkedin pages help during a divorce?
- Battle over same-sex marriage in Utah heats up
- The property division process' effect on same-sex divorce in Illinois
- Effect of Windsor
Family Law Violence
- Mutual spousal abuse allegations
- Hearsay statements of child abuse victims
- Restraining orders, protective orders and injunctive relief
Fertility and Surrogacy
- Actor Jason Patric fights for custody of his son and sperm donor rights
- How to establish a successful surrogacy arrangement
- Kansas court ruling: Sperm donor ordered to pay child support
- The brave new world of custody in assisted reproduction
- Surrogacy agreements: The latest case law and drafting tools
Mediation and Collaborative Law
- How to make mediation work
- Weighing you options: When is alternative dispute resolution appropriate in family law?
- When to negotiate and when to litigate during divorce
- Differences between mediation and collaborative law
- Equitable distribution versus community property
- Missouri divorce: Dividing large assets requires proper planning
- Common issues in dividing a family business
- Division of family limited partnerships
- Trust decanting and divorce
- Divorce and estate plans
- Is your spouse hiding assets pursuant to a divorce?
We have a wide variety of legal summaries to help you understand the law behind certain family law topics in Missouri and Illinois.
- Legal Summary: Handling ethical issues in family law practice for paralegals
- Legal Summary: Valuing and dividing complex assets: stocks, retirement plans and more
- Missouri law summary on paternity cases
- Missouri family law update 2015
- Missouri law summary on guardianships
- Missouri law summary on custody modifications
- Missouri legal summary on adoptions
- Missouri law summary: understanding the pros and cons of joint custody
- Missouri law summary on termination of parental rights
- Missouri law summary on name changes for minor children
- Legal Summary: Custody options, procedures and forms
- Legal Summary: Sole custody vs. shared parenting
- Legal Summary: How to modify custody and visitation orders
- Legal Summary: Paternity actions
- Legal Summary: Imputed income in divorce
- Legal Summary: Dividing Trust Assets in Divorce
- Legal Summary: Failure to Fully Anticipate and Minimize the Tax Consequences of Divorce
- Legal Summary: Mistakes in Valuing and Dividing Real Property
- Legal Summary: How to Draft an Effective Cohabitation/Living Together Agreements
- Legal Summary: Negotiating, Modifying, and Enforcing Marital Settlement Agreements
- Legal Summary: Adoption and Surrogacy in a Nutshell
- Legal Summary: Legal Ethics in Family Law
- Legal Summary: Email Evidence in Divorce Litigation
- Legal Summary: Working With Experts in Divorce
- Legal Summary: Depositions and Cross Examinations: Best Practices and Strategies
- Legal Summary: Attacking Real Estate and Valuation Experts in Divorce
- Legal Summary: Vocational and Lifestyle Experts: Getting to Court to See Your Side on Support Issues
- Legal Summary: Key Strategies to Get Your Evidence Admitted & Keeping Theirs Out
- Legal Summary: Rules, Procedures, and Chages You Need to Know
- Legal Summary: Business Valuation in Divorce
- Legal Summary: Facebook Evidence and Divorce
- Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDRO)
- Smartphone and Social Media Evidence in Divorce Litigation
- Direct and Cross-Examination of Experts in Divorce
- Discovering Undisclosed/Hidden Assets - Tips and Techniques
- Tax Treatment and Consequences of Divorce
- Legal Summary: Advanced Divorce Law
- Legal Summary: Preparing for Mediation
- Legal Summary: Settlement Negotiation, Trial Strategies, and Drafting Final Orders
- Legal Summary: Family Law & Same Sex Marriages - Divorce, Custody, Child Support, and Embryos - Where Does it Stop - Nobody Knows
- Legal Summary: Discovery in Divorce - The Ultimate Guide for Paralegals
- Illinois law summary: Guardianships and voluntary relinquishment
- Illinois law summary: Educational expenses and college costs
- Illinois law summary: Abuse and temporary child custody
You can also read more Stange Law Firm, PC articles at:
- Stange Law Firm on HG.Org
- Stange Law Firm on Nolo
- St. Louis Fathers Rights Divorce Blog
- Illinois Divorce Attorneys Blog
- St. Louis Divorce Law Blog
- St. Charles Divorce Attorneys Blog
- Columbia Missouri Divorce and Family Law Blog
- Springfield Illinois Divorce Attorneys Blog
- Kansas City Missouri Family Law Blog
- Family Law Headquarters and News
- Lawyers.com Blog
You can also listen to Family Law Talk® with Stange Law Firm, PC below:
Call Today To Speak To Divorce Attorneys in the Midwest in cities such as St. Louis, Kansas City, Columbia, Springfield and Elsewhere
To learn more about how our divorce lawyers can assist you, please set up your confidential consultation by calling or contacting us online. The family law attorneys at Stange Law Firm, PC are conveniently located throughout the Midwest.